Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 60 / Power: 8
dcfv deserves a Tiger! - He's a Good Guy
Re: Voice in my head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboyfor View Post
There is nothing special about mindfulness that requires travel to some exotic location.

Mindfulness doesn't take you to a special place in your head. What it does is give you the skills to savor the "here and now".

I can meditate while driving with my eyes wide open and alert. I concentrate on the sound of the tyres skimming along the tarmac while the engine hums in unison. At the same time I absorb the road situation around me eg what sort of car is following me and the make and models of the cars up front.

When I stop at traffic lights it used to be a frustrating experience waiting for the lights to change and even more annoying if the lights turned red before I got across the junction. I kept thinking about getting to my destination asap and imagined the various consequences of being late.

Now I just use the time to absorb what is around me by concentrating on the sights and sounds and before I know it the light has turned green.

Driving has become stress stress free thanks to being mindful of my surroundings while driving instead of thinking about the destination.
Yes i understand that. We have Sam Harris and other gurus to help us with that. My point is once you have this state of mind of "here and now", the past is an illusion and the future is a fiction, --

-- get that body moving... your thoughts ...?

Besides mindfulness, i think another addition to achieve it in meditation is thankfulness.

Last edited by dcfv; 30-12-2019 at 03:32 PM.