Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 60 / Power: 8
dcfv deserves a Tiger! - He's a Good Guy
Re: Voice in my head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboyfor View Post
We all have our demons.

I don't consider myself mentally unstable but I have reached the stage in my life when I have friends, classmates and acquaintances that have either died or have ended up bedridden from health issues.

Falling asleep used to be easy. My thoughts would revolve around planning for the day or week ahead. Now there are nights when I'm stuck with morbid thoughts about my own mortality and those I care about.

However I have found a very effective solution and it revolves around mindfulness and meditation.

If you have time you should sign up for classes which is what I did to start off with. I attended a 6 session course spread over 6 weeks and it did wonders. There is no stigma attached to mindfulness. Many CEOs endorse it and some companies have incorporated it into their staff routines.

If you want to do it discreetly there are many apps that have been shown to be effective too. eg headspace, sanvello, waking up etc.

Mindfulness involves nothing more than being in the present. It calms the mind and puts life into perspective.

We spend far too much time regretting the past and worrying about the future. In reality we only have the present. Nothing else matters.

When we are 21 years old we don't spend nights worrying about dying even though death is inevitable. We live for the moment and enjoy ourselves. Mindfulness trains the mind not to worry about death even when we are 70 and death may come tomorrow because the present is all that matters.
Great Post. And you are practicing it in NZ, why not Bali? Panama? ... whatever ...you have the money and mobility . It cannot be for the women, you are in NZ.