View Single Post
Old 13-09-2006, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 1407 / Power: 0
Cheri_Popper has much to be proud ofCheri_Popper has much to be proud ofCheri_Popper has much to be proud ofCheri_Popper has much to be proud ofCheri_Popper has much to be proud ofCheri_Popper has much to be proud ofCheri_Popper has much to be proud ofCheri_Popper has much to be proud ofCheri_Popper has much to be proud ofCheri_Popper has much to be proud of
Re: Arsenal FC @ Emirates All Gunner fans fall in

Wenger - How I'll manage Theo’s development

Arsène Wenger has revealed how he intends to ease Theo Walcott into the rigours of regular first-team football.

The 17-year-old has already made his mark for club and country this season. He came off the bench to set up goals for Arsenal against Aston Villa and Dinamo Zagreb and struck twice in his first two appearances for England Under-21s.

Walcott's pace and verve has caught the eye but he was taken out of the limelight at the weekend when Wenger rested him for Arsenal's 1-1 draw against Middlesbrough. The manager explained the thinking behind his decision.

"For me it is important this boy gets to 19 without any big injury. I feel a great responsibility for that," said Wenger. "I can understand people want to see him, but we have to manage him well, that you do not overplay him.

"Even [Wayne] Rooney at 17 was still a boy, but at 18 he was a man, and you have to respect that development. When he turned 18, he became more of a regular."

"Theo is only 17, but he has made a big step forwards since the beginning of the season. For him, because he is so young, every day he is better.

"He goes up naturally and even if you do nothing with him, at 19 he will be better than at 17. He will become stronger, more determined and confident."