View Single Post
Old 16-06-2015, 06:10 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 254 / Power: 13
micmac888 is one of the Best!micmac888 is one of the Best!micmac888 is one of the Best!
Re: Batam Info Thread

Was at Mitraraya (Mitra wet market - Batam Center). Some of my local friends told me in the past there is one (medan) mie-pangsit shop called MOMO at Mitra which is enak-enak. They, knowing my love for good food, suggested I try.

I have tried that shop 4 times and I felt mie-pangsit was consistent enough to write down here.

Momo is the boss' name (guy in red shirt). Indo-chinese, from Medan. His noodle is really really good!! His noodles are so "Q" - that if one ta-bao back - his noodles won't go lumpy-soft. The "Q" texture is really great. And because it is very "Q", they retain their crooked shapes somewhat (before cooking) - and "trapping" the sauce along the noodles' lengths (unlike udon / ban-tiao / etc). I dun like soft and/or clumpy(sticky) and therefore "dry" noodle which sometimes, one would add soup into the noodle to separate the clumpy strands or wet the noodle for better eating.

I have yet to try more "Q" noodle than his, and his noodles dun clump together. Confirms he gets his daily replenishment from Medan - because of the wheat/flour that Medan uses and the way they make the noodles is not available in Batam.

His sauce-base is boiled pork-ribs soup with soy/black/oyster sauce(s). Doesn't add ketchup/chili-sauce to the mie-pangsit. But instead the condiments are available on the table.

Normal portion like the one in pic - RP17K, Jumbo size - RP23K.

My next stop would be the so-called "Number 1" Ayam Goreng Bawang as vouched by the locals : ADI 88 at Baloi Mas (behind Indomobil). Going there with no anticipation to rightly experience how it is.

Cheers and enjoy!